‘He was stolen from me’: Two more convicted in Dylan Chretien murder case | Wender Mind Kids

'He was stolen from me': Two more convicted in Dylan Chretien murder case

Late October 2019. Chretien had offered a friend a ride from Lloydminster. They drove to a well-known gang house in Prince Albert’s Carlton Park. The friend soon left to attend to other matters, only to be later arrested on an unrelated matter.

Chretien stayed behind in the residence and conversed with the people there. During that time, people had asked him to get food and also withdraw $100.

Chretien returned with the Chinese food and then left, only to receive a text message from Smith a short time later asking where the cash was. When Chretien returned to the apartment, he was taken to a bedroom and attacked. Chretien could be heard screaming for an extended period of time, according to the statement of facts read in court by Crown Prosecutor Doug Howell.

Both Smith and Sutherland-Kayseas were seen exiting and entering the bedroom.

While still conscious and covered in blood, Chretien was later carried out of the bedroom by Smith and placed in a vehicle. Chretien’s cries for help from the others in the apartment were ignored. He was then transported by Smith and Sutherland-Kayseas to a remote location northwest of town near the Saskatchewan Penitentiary and essentially left to die.

A missing persons report was filed on November 2, and just over a month later police would find the body using the last known location on Chretien’s phone. Due to the damage from the elements, the pathologist was unable to determine the cause of death, but found evidence of multiple stab wounds, blunt force trauma to the head, and evidence of ligature strangulation.

Victim’s Influence Statement

Brenda Chretien sat alone on the witness stand and slowly read from a statement she had prepared. She described how close she and her son were and how he was her last remaining family member as she had lost others to cancer.

“It was stolen from me,” she said.

Brenda described her son as her strength and savior and said she has constant nightmares; lives in fear that the gang members may be after her next; has lost her job and is financially drained.

“You might as well have murdered me,” she said.

Brenda went on to explain how she and her son had planned to open a business together, but now she can’t get excited about the idea of ​​having grandchildren or even celebrating birthday parties. She asked the judiciary to give both defendants the maximum sentence, which she felt they had given her.

“This is the worst torture,” she said.

As she left the witness stand and walked back to her seat in the gallery, Brenda was seen pausing for a moment and glancing quickly at Smith, who was seated in the prisoner’s box. Brenda later told it panNOW she had hoped he would see the contempt she has for them both and make him squirm a little.

Statement of Defense and Remarks of the Judge

Smith’s attorney, Mike Nolan, described Smith as an intelligent man who even earned a degree from the University of Saskatchewan. His role in the gang has been described by Nolan as a “credit card guy”.

Since his incarceration, Smith has taken a proactive role in the prison, working in the quarantine unit and cleaning up areas where inmates had been staying. Nolan also stated that Smith had distanced himself from the gangs.

Justice Mills expressed his surprise at seeing Smith in court, noting that he is not the type of person that usually comes before him.

“You’re here, but you shouldn’t be,” he said. “You’re better than that.”

Smith has been granted an investigative credit of 570 days, leaving him approximately three and a half years. Outside the courthouse, Sharon spoke to Smith’s mother panNOW and said she empathized with and sympathized with the victim’s mother.

“My heart goes out to her because this is her only son,” she said.

Sutherland-Kayseas was in turn represented by Val Harvey, who described the harsh upbringing of her client, who lived in foster care because her mother drank and was unable to care for her. Later in life, when the mother tried to make amends, there were conflicts. Harvey explained that Sutherland-Kayseas turned to gang life because it gave her a sense of belonging.

Since her incarceration, Sutherland-Kayseas has almost completed her 12th grade education and aspires to continue her education, with an interest in indigenous colonization. She also has two children who are currently in the care of their grandparents in Ontario. Justice Mills told Kayseas he understood her need to belong.

“But these people take advantage of people in your situation and suck your soul,” he said.

Kayseas would have been entitled to a substantial investigative credit but requested that her five-year sentence begin Thursday instead. She also wrote a letter to the judiciary, but the content was not read out in court.

Both Smith and Sutherland-Kayseas declined when given an opportunity to speak in court.

In all, seven have been charged in connection with the case and two still have court dates. Sheldon Goodvoice, who faces the most serious charge of first-degree murder, was scheduled for a pretrial conference on Friday.

Another man believed to have played a significant role in the attack, Tyson Lafonde, was murdered in January 2020 in an alleged gang-related incident.


On twitter: @nigelmaxwell