The legend returns! As the toy fair moves to September, The BIG toy book Tradition will continue in February 2023.
In response to calls from retailers, manufacturers, distributors and licensors across North America, The toy book‘s 39th volume is out late February with more than 300 must-read pages, packed with content readers have come to expect from the toy industry’s #1 trade publication.
while it could appear early it isn’t and this is your official announcement that now is the time to engage in our biggest issue of the year and don’t miss it!
The toy book now collects editorial showcase submissions for The BIG toy book. The deadline for new product submissions is December 22, 2022. In addition, marketing opportunities related to the issue are now available.
Highlights in this issue include:
- Comprehensive 2023 product coverage for all categories: The hottest new products retailers want to stock.
- State of the Toy Industry: Q&A with industry leaders, retailers and manufacturers on toy trends and hot topics in the toy industry; Forecast 2023; Insight from The NPD Group; and statistics for the full year 2022.
- The regular Toy Book sections as well as exclusive features covering all aspects of the industry including Retail, Cargo Condition, Hot Trends, Packaging, Invention, Marketing and Public Relations and much more.
The BIG toy book will be sent to subscribers and will be available digitally in February. Additional copies will be on display and available at ToyFest, taking place February 27-March 3 in Las Vegas, and at The Play Date, the brand new event hosted by The Toy Book, The Toy Insider and The Toy Association in New York City on 8th of March.
Submission Guidelines & Instructions:
No fee is charged for the editorial review.
If you have products that you want retailers and the rest of the industry to see, we’d love to share them.* Due to the large volume of submissions we receive, we ask that you read and comply with the submission requirements below. For consideration in our 2023 New Toy coverage, please submit the guidelines below. Only products NEW FOR 2023 will be accepted.
Please send your new 2023 product descriptions in a Word document attachment to James Zahn, email@example.com
PDFs and/or PowerPoints will not be considered. Include suggested age, MSRP, and availability (e.g. Spring 2023, Fall 2023) if possible. Please group your descriptions by category and Submit no more than three articles per category.
You can submit in the following format:
PRODUCT NAME | AGE GROUP | MSRP $USD | AVAILABILITY DATE
(street date, month or season, e.g. summer 2023, public holiday 2023)
Brief description of your product.
Please note that there are some new, updated and returning categories for 2023.
- action figures (Updated): Traditional action figures and playsets for children and collectors.
- Arts, Crafts and Activities (Updated): Products designed to keep kids creative.
- Construction: Construction kits and building materials of all kinds.
- Collectibles: From kid-focused microfigures that pop up in waves, to high-end action figures, licensed pop culture merch, and more for kids and kidults.
- Costumes & Roleplay (New for ’23): From everyday costumes to superhero roleplay, Halloween and cosplay.
- Dolls: Any toy that fits into the category of traditional dolls, including small dolls, baby dolls, fashion dolls, etc.
- Games & Puzzles: Traditional games and puzzles, card games, tabletop games, role playing games, 3D puzzles and more.
- Impulses & innovations (Updated): Checkout fodder, shelf toys and other pocket money items (including candy!) can be found here.
- small child (Updated): Baby toys and fun for toddlers – this showcase showcases youthful brands.
- Made in the USA (New for ’23): Toys and games that conform to the official “Made in USA” designation.
- Outdoor & Active: Toys that children can play with outdoors or get them moving, such as ride-on vehicles and bicycles (including bicycles, scooters, skateboards), water toys, and outdoor games.
- pets (New for ’23): Do you have pet products with a toyish spin or top license? This is the place to show them.
- Plush: Traditional cuddly toys and plush in all sizes and variations.
- Preschool (updated): Products aimed at the large audience of children aged 3 to 4 years
- STEM: Products that teach or encompass skills that span science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
- toys next to it (New for ’23): Products sold in a toy store that are not necessarily toys and games.
- trading cards (New for ’23): Both sports and non-sports trading cards (and accessories) are in high demand.
- Vehicles & R/C (updated): Die-cast vehicles, radio controlled vehicles, action figure compatible vehicles, pull-back vehicles, construction vehicles and more. If it has wheels, treads, flies or floats this is the place.
- What’s new: Our Miscellaneous section for other items that don’t fit anywhere else, like robotics, tech, and entertainment.
Prioritize your submissions in each category, list your most important articles at the top of each category list and your most important category first. Please include only top issues in the product description. Our space is limited, but we will try to cover as many of your products as possible.
Please include high resolution 300dpi images with transparent/no background as an email attachment. If possible, add an image of each item for each category and name your images so it is clear which item it is.
Please do not send PDFs or PowerPoint presentations, and DO NOT embed images in documents.
*Please note that due to the large volume of submissions we receive, inclusion in The Toy Book cannot be guaranteed. The Toy Book editorial team may, in its sole discretion, approve or disapprove any Submission for any reason. We reserve the right to categorize products, edit product descriptions for length, clarity and compliance with AP and house style, and may limit the total number of products on displayi.e for this complimentary editorial opportunityj. We do not use legal symbols in editorial reporting for any reason.
Submit your submission by December 22nd. If you need an extension, please email firstname.lastname@example.org before December 22nd.
EMBARGOES: Rest assured that ALL EMBARGOED SUBMISSIONS for New Toy 2023 coverage will remain confidential and will not be printed until then The BIG toy book will be officially released in February 2023.
If you are interested in advertising in The toy bookplease contact Jackie Breyer or James Devin.
Would you like to be active with future editions of The toy book? Check out our 2023 editorial calendar for details on what we have in store for the year ahead.